Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Terra Incognita Australis Post V: Leaving Melbourne

I apologise for not having sufficient time (or mental capacity) lately to post. As my primary purpose for travelling to Melbourne was business, it was business that came first. For reasons of professionalism, I cannot comment on the conference other than to say that it was an interesting and enjoyable experience, and that if I eventually decide to leave the field then I will have a great deal to write about. Forgive the stream-of-consciousness writing as I do have a lot of ground to make up.

Yesterday was my last full day in Melbourne. What I have to say, is that Melbourne is one of the greatest cities for running on the planet. When we left the hotel at 6am, we headed straight for the path that runs around the garden border; the famous “Tan.” As was explained to me, it is called the “Tan” not because of gorgeous sunbathers (though assuredly there are many), but instead because it at one point in time had been covered in tan wood. This was done for the sake of exercising the horses. For reasons lost to Australian history, men started running on it eventually giving birth to the 3.5km metric by which all Melburnian runners are measured. Now, in any other city in the world, running at 6am puts you into a fairly limited crowd; especially if you’re heading towards a semi-darkened path. Running the Tan, though, is such a phenomenon, that the path was chock full of people. It was incredible; like everyone secretly decided that we could reverse the order of things and nighttime really was the best time to go out for a leisurely stroll or jog. In the middle of our hour long run, my partner and I managed 13:30 on the Tan, enough to open a few eyes at the conference.

Despite having been trapped in a room with no windows for the better part of the last three or four days, my enthusiasm for this city has not diminished. While I have had more of an opportunity to see it, I still am disappointed that I cannot see more of it. It is a wonderful place. There are beaches, old buildings, magnificent skyscrapers, good cafés, good public transit, friendly people, and of course, good weather. I fly out for Sydney and the unknown, yet again, and I do so with the distinct trepidation that I am leaving my heart behind.

No comments: